MediaWiki's extended image syntax allows images to be automatically thumbnailed.
Image thumbnailing requires either ImageMagick or GD library. ImageMagick is recommended since it produces better quality thumbnails than GD library. It can be downloaded from imagemagick.org. Neither of these are part of the default MediaWiki installation but MediaWiki can be installed without this function.
To enable image thumbnailing, set $wgUseImageResize and $wgUseImageMagick to true in LocalSettings.php. Make sure the wgImageMagickConvertCommand variable points to the proper location of the convert command of your installation and that the command is executable by the web server process.
If both ImageMagick and GD library are installed, MediaWiki will use GD library. To change this, edit LocalSettings.php after installation and change $wgImageMagickConvertCommand from "/usr/bin/convert"; to "/usr/local/bin/convert";.
If your still having issues with thumbnails it could be your Linux distro does not have the required image libraries.
* Independent JPEG Group - Original JPEG * JasPer - JPEG 2000 * LibPNG - PNG Library
Similiar problem for me. Error message in place of the thumbnail: "/usr/bin/convert: Unrecognized option (-thumbnail)"
- SuSE Linux 8.2 (Shared Hosting, no root access)
- Apache/1.3.36 (Unix) PHP/5.2.0 with Suhosin-Patch FrontPage/22.214.171.12403 mod_fastcgi/mod_fastcgi-SNAP-0404142202 mod_ssl/2.8.27 OpenSSL/0.9.6i
- MySQL 5.0.22
- Path ImageMagick 5.5.4: /usr/bin/, Path Convert (ImageMagick): /usr/bin/convert
- MediaWiki 1.9.3, AddHandler php-fastcgi .php .php4
Upload and everything else goes. Strange is that I use a MediaWiki 1.6.5 system on the same hosting where thumbnailing works. I was not able in the last hours to find a solution even searching all the web and are now frustrated.
Thanks for indications. Chrus. 2007-04-29
- I had the above problem with Unrecognized option (-thumbnail) on a shared server. The default ImageMagick path was wrong (even though MediaWiki found ImageMagick on install). Contacting support to get the the correct path fixed the problem. The correct path for my server was /usr/local/ImageMagick/bin/convert. —126.96.36.199 21:20, 8 September 2007 (UTC)
- This page needs some serious attention! Some specific guiding to create the right location path is needed!
See also: Help:Images and other uploaded files